Experience the Prøysen Museum
The Prøysen Museum is a national cultural centre built to remember, honour, and spread knowledge of Alf Prøysen's work. Through a guided tour of the Prøysen Cottage and the exhibition "Livets runde", visitors get an insight into Alf Prøysen's upbringing, life, and work. There are events throughout the year, but there are two main seasons during which the Prøysen Museum is particularly busy. "Christmas at Prøysen” and “Summer at Prøysen” offer warm experiences and together-time through activities, theatre performances, and concerts all generations can enjoy.
- See upcoming events at the Prøysen Museum
In Kafé Julie, visitors can enjoy good home-cooked food served in generous helpings. The Prøysen Museum is also an excellent venue for training, conferences, and functions.
The children's Prøysen
In the four activity rooms – the Carpenter Andersen room, the drawing room, the play room, and the library – children are allowed to be creative and play on their own terms.
Visit Carpenter Andersen’s cottage
Inside the Prøysen Museum, you can visit Carpenter Andersen’s Christmas-decorated home. The cottage is the set of the Christmas classic “Carpenter Andersen Meets Santa Claus”.
Children’s birthday parties at the Prøysen Museum
Prøysen took children seriously. So do the Prøysen Museum, which now offers children’s birthday parties! First, the birthday boy or girl is welcomed with a song, and then there are various activities and food. The children are free to roam outdoors in Mikkelikskiskogen, or explore the indoor activity rooms. There is also a range of activities to choose from, and the party can be tailored to suit the wishes of the guest of honour.
Learn about Prøysen
The exhibition “Livets runde”
Our understanding of Prøysen keeps expanding. With his work constantly revealing new depths and dimensions, new doors open in step with our time. The digitalised exhibition “Livets runde” provides a deeper insight into Prøysen through which you will discover the relevance and ingeniousness of his wordsmithery.
Visit the Prøysen Cottage
Get to know Alf Prøysen as a person and an author. Our museum guides will join you in the Prøysen Cottage, Alf Prøysen childhood home, and will talk about his formative years at the croft. The storytelling session also includes songs or readings.
Welcome to Kafé Julie! The café has been named after Alf’s mother as she was the one making sure that Alf always was fed – even though money was tight. Good home-cooked food in generous helpings and at friendly prices. Everything is made from scratch, including bread, cakes, and hot food. If special occasions require special catering, chef Henning Reistadbakken and his team will make this happen. A visit to Kafé Julie adds that little bit extra to the Prøysen experience. Singing at the table is not uncommon!
The café follows the museum’s opening hours. Evening catering can be arranged for groups/functions/events. Kafé Julie will also deliver, and has a separate function menu.
- See menu or read more about Kafé Julie
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good12
- AnneogMortenRingsaker, NorwayTrip Type:CouplesAlf's birthplace01/06/2015Alf Prøysen was a Norwegia singer songwriter. Its very nice to visit the cabin he was born. Its situated not far from the main road. Its a beautiful place to take good picures. Read full review
- Mor-t-treTrondheimTrip Type:FamilyNorwegian literature history, quietness, emotional, Alf Prøysen27/07/2015Visited together with tree children, aged 7, 10, 12 years. Alf Prøysen is a person we all four have a relation to through life, childhood, school plays, songs, “barne-TV” and radio. For me it was... Read full review
- AddieHNOOslo, NorwayTrip Type:Solo travelGreat grounds and cafe02/09/2017A museum dedicated to Alf Prøysen, one of the most important Norwegian cultural personalities in the second half of the twentieth century, and he made significant contributions to literature, music... Read full review