About Enger church in Søndre Land
Enger church is a long-church dating back to 1875 and is a result of the explosive population growth of the 19th century combined with a new law established in 1851, stating that the churches would need to seat 30% of the entire parish. This lead to an impressive amount of churches being built within a short period of time as 623 churches was built and 390 demolished in the second half of the 19th century.
The church department handed out pattern-drawings where the gothic cathedral held the position as the sacral ideal, but also incorporating the Swiss style. Enger church was raised according to this prototype for the Norwegian church and was later but was restored with a remarkable funky-exterior in 1950. Today Enger church is a creation that sorts quite an interesting identity.